Did you know that May is International Masturbation month? And that this wonderful celebration of self-pleasure has been going on for twenty years? You can read more about the founding of this event (and some very important discussion of America’s anti-masturbatory anxiety) on Good Vibrations’ blog here. But how does one celebrate such a thing? Well, by masturbating, of course, but here are ten ways.
- Experiment with mutually masturbation with your partner before sex. If you haven’t already, masturbating with your partner is a great way to show them what you like and don’t like during intercourse. It isn’t just for new couples though, sometimes it’s really just hot to watch your partner get off.
- Find something new to jerk it to. Find a new erotic book to read or try out a new porn subscription (I’m a big fan of Crashpad.) Whatever you choose, remember to #payforyourporn and support your favorite smut peddlers.
- Take it slow. A lot of times it can be tempting just to head straight for the genitals to get the job done but masturbation shouldn’t feel like a race. When you’re masturbating this month, explore your other erogenous zones before getting down to The Business.
- Try an edging challenge. Edging is the practice of getting right up to the edge of orgasm and trying to hold it for as long as possible, or doing that as many times as possible, without actually orgasming. The resulting orgasm after all that waiting is usually pretty powerful.
- Do good. Masturbation Month was started because anxiety surrounding sexual education and how, especially in the US, it’s usually abstinence-only. Do you know what your local policy is on sex ed? Find out and, if you find the time, reach out to your representatives to let them know that you support real sexual education, not scare-mongering.
- Make yourself a masturbation playlist. Some people make sex playlists, I make masturbation playlists (mostly so I don’t have to subject my partner to four Depeche Mode songs in a row.) Bonus points if you time your orgasm to hit when there’s a nice bass drop or excellent guitar solo.
- Go public by wearing a toy while out and about. Kegel exercises or love eggs, clitoral clamps, butt plugs, and certain rope ties are perfect for wearing under your clothes for a little bit of self-love throughout the day. If you’re brave, you can even try finishing in public.
- Learn something new. Many sex toy shops or BDSM communities have regular workshops, roundtables, and other kinds of community events that are all about sex positivity. Even if you’re sure there’s nothing for you to learn (in which case -eyebrow raise-) you might meet cool people or find you have something to contribute. Check Twitter for local events.
- Do non-sexual nice things for yourself. Masturbation is one of the greatest forms of self-love, in my opinion, but it’s not the only way. Treat yourself to something nice you can do by yourself. If it’s the right kind of something (a bubble bath springs to mind) you might end up celebrating International Masturbation Month anyhow!
- Try a new toy. This should come as no surprise from a sex toy blogger but is there really ever a bad time to get yourself a new toy? Methinks not. Bonus points if it is a type of toy you haven’t tried before. I’m currently lusting over the We-Vibe Tango, Bad Dragon’s The Guardian, Magic Wand Rechargable, and Tantus’s Bound.
How will you be celebrating International Masturbation Month?